Nov. 30, 2017 -- An area of 1,134.57 square kilometers has been excluded from the Mount Everest Reserve, and a new area of the same space has been included in the Reserve. The total area of the Reserve remains unchanged at 33,819 square kilometers after the adjustment.
An area of 103.0529 square kilometers has been excluded from the Baima Snow Mountain Reserve and a new area of 107.7129 square kilometers has been include, according to a notice from the Ministry of Environmental Protection of China.
The adjustment is designed to optimize the range of the Mount Everest Reserve and strengthen the protection of rare animals. Before the approval of the establishment, the Reserve includes Dingjie county, Nyalam county, Gyirong county, Tingri county and some villages and towns. Gyirong port is located on borders between China and Nepal.
The specifics of the Mount Everest Reserve adjustment are as follows:
1. An area of 1134.57 square kilometers including the wetland of the sources of Yeru Zangbu, Duobuzha lake and the surrounding areas will be included in the Reserve.
2. 4 counties and 26 townships will be excluded from the Reserve, which covers 621 square kilometers.
3. Gyirong port, located in the south of Gyirong county, will be excluded from the Reserve, which covers 47.80 square kilometers.
4. An area of 465.77 square kilometers will be excluded from the Reserve.
The specifics of the Baima Snow Mountain Reserve adjustment are as follows:
1. Yezhi,Badi and 3 other villages and towns of Yunnan Weixi Li-Su Autonomous County will be excluded from the Reserve.
2. The southwest foot of Zara Tien Mountain, which is covered by a large area of state-owned primeval forest will be included in the Reserve.
3. The buffer area and experiment area with important protection value will be adjusted to the core area, the partially core area and buffer area will be adjusted to the experiment area.
By: Geng Yifei